Tuesday 20 March 2012

Further Progression of Modelling

I have been pushing on with making my buildings for the road where my animation is going to take place. I have been making another building today, using mainly elements from the first building, but by adjusting the textures and the colouring slightly. The screenshot above shows where I have had to include more polygons in the top part of the building, so that I can correct a part where a section is sticking out. The sticking out part suited the alignment of the first building, but as the lower part has slightly different dimensions in this building, this part needs to be adjusted accordingly.
Another problem that I encountered today was in the material editor. All of the locations of the bitmaps for my materials could not be found, so I had to re-locate all of these for the main bitmap and for the bump bitmap, so that all of the materials look the same as before.

As I don't want the windows to all look too similar, I have been changing little features of them for the last couple of buildings that I have been making. The top part has changed colours slightly, and for the smaller windows, the edging has had a brick texture applied. For some windows that will be on the side of the latest tall building, the shape has been changed and the image used has needed to be adjusted so that the quality of the bitmap itself is not impacted by the framing adjustments. However, I am using the same bitmap images for the windows and doors that were used in the original model, to ensure consistency throughout the buildings, as the majority of the buildings in this time era and especially in the same area had very similar doors and windows.

My next task has been too adjust the brickwork so that all the different boxes and other shapes that I have made are consistent with each other in terms of textures. As some of the brickwork has been coming up slightly different sizes, I have made note of the exact measurements of length, width and height and am inputting the numbers to the needed sections, using the UVW Mapping tool. The majority of the mapping has been using box mapping, but certain parts have required the alignment to be changed. Although this detail may not be the most noticeable thing during the animation, I would prefer it all to be correct to make the animation seem more realistic.

For the brickwork on some of the roofs, UVW Mapping has once again been applied, but the parameters have been changed so that there is no distorting the image. Also, Cylindrical Mapping has been used so that the brickwork is in the right position, rather than all of the bricks simply going in the same direction. I may look for some more slightly varied brick textures for the roofs, however, the problems that I found before were either that the angle the photo was taken was not efficient to create a texture from, of that the image was watermarked and required a payment to get the un-watermarked image. If this is the case again, I can edit the existing images that I have in Photoshop, just to vary the texture and colour settings slightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment