Tuesday 6 March 2012

Animation Storyboard


This is the storyboard for what I plan to make in my animation (excuse the poor quality). I am going for more of a comedy value in my short animation, but showing a variety of camera shots and techniques.

Panel 1 shows, quite simply, the model of my tank moving throughout the city, with the door, which starts off being open, closing as the tank moves. It will use a birds eye view and will gradually zoom in and rotate to show a side view of the tank, following it as it moves. The city itself I need to expand upon: as I have already created a small set of buildings, I can repeat these in certain parts of the city, however, to make it look more realistic, I am going to make more buildings. However, as it would take too long to make a complete city from scratch, I am going to use parts of the buildings that I have already created and mix certain features together to create new buildings. These buildings will be a part of my scenery throughout, so I need to ensure that there is a sufficient number of these modelled. This will be the part that I will start next, before the actual animation process, as well as finding a decent texture for the ground.
Panel 2 changes the camera angle to the front of the tank as it is moving throughout the city. The camera stops when the tank does, which is when the tank begins to shake. A gradual zoom-in occurs while this is happening, until smoke starts coming out of the peep hole.
Panel 3 uses a high angled shot, looking down at the tank as it begins to spin around out of control, on a pre-set path.
Panel 4 shows the tank eventually hitting the pile of barrels that contain gunpowder, so this shot is a close-up of the barrels and the tank is it hits them and knocks them over. One of the tanks is hit at an angle so that the cork falls out of it and gunpowder pours out over the street. As the tank moves away, a small flame is left near the barrels, that immediately starts to get bigger.
Panel 5 uses the target camera and path constraint technique that was learnt last week. This will make it appear as though the camera is inside the tank and the destruction being left by the tank will be seen from this viewpoint. As the camera goes round, the flame by the barrels is getting bigger.
Panel 6 goes back to using a high-angled shot with the tank spinning out of control on a set path again. The size of the flame by the barrels is still increasing and getting closer to the barrels. On the second loop around the path, the tank hits the barrels with more force, which causes them to explode in an expanding flash of white light expanding from the barrels. As the light spreads, the buildings are engulfed into it, while the tank flies into the air.
Panel 7 (the final panel) is the tank flying into the air, spinning as it goes, and getting closer to the camera. It eventually hits the camera and everything goes black, signalling the end of the animation.

I shall try and add appropriate music and sound effects for this animation to expand on the idea slightly, as I appreciate that it is fairly simple. But I am mainly focussing on getting the camera angles and techniques right rather than going for a longer and more detailed story, as this is my first animation. I have already begun to research in some 3DS Max books how to create the flames of the fire and will progress on to researching and practising the other techniques that will be needed to create this animation.

No comments:

Post a Comment