Tuesday 31 January 2012

Lathing

  

For my first attempt at lathing, I decided to make a goblet style cup. I attempted to draw the flat 2D outline of the object in Illustrator, but found the pen tool extremely difficult to work with, so continued with the outline in 3DS Max, using mainly the top wireframe view. Using the lathe tool originally turned my shape inside out, with some darkness underneath the base of the goblet, but this was fixed using the paramters tab. Then, by adjusting the pivot, scale and rotation of the shape, it eventually looked more like a goblet rather than just a strange, round old fashioned cup. The colour was then adjusted and the segments increased to make it look more rounded.
Using this tool I found to be quite difficult at first - mainly using the line tool and generating curves from this. In the future, I will avoid using Illustrator, unless it is crucial, to create curved lines. The interface of 3DS Max is much easier for me to work from because of all of the different perspectives and grid lines available. 

No comments:

Post a Comment